- 2 -3 T. vegetable oil
- 4 center loin pork chops, trimmed of fat
- 1 tsp. black pepper, divided
- 1 T. chili powder, divided
- 1 T. ground cumin, divided
- 1 tsp. fajita seasoning, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 roasted Hatch green chiles, stemmed and seeded
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup whole grain brown rice
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork chops, season each side with a sprinkle or two of the spices, and brown on both sides. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
Add the onion, green bell pepper, Hatch chiles, and garlic to the skillet. Saute in the pork drippings until tender. Season with the remaining black pepper, chili powder, cumin, and fajita seasoning.
Add the tomatoes and water. Sprinkle on some more seasonings for extra spice and heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
Sprinkle the rice over the pork chops. Spoon the sauce over. Cover
with aluminum foil and bake for one hour.
Uncover and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake, uncovered, for 5 to
10 more minutes or until the cheese melts.
I served it with a side of pinto beans. Dinner was Totally Awesome!!! :)